Tuesday, October 2, 2007

How a Child Might Describe a Reaction

Children have unique ways of describing their experiences and perceptions, including
allergic reactions. Precious time is lost when adults do not immediately recognize that a
reaction is occurring or don’t understand what the children might be telling them.
The following text contains examples of the words a child might use to describe a
reaction.

In addition, know that sometimes children, especially very young ones, will put their
hands in their mouths, or pull or scratch at their tongues, in response to a reaction. Also,
children’s voices may change (i.e., become hoarse or squeaky), and they may slur their
words.

If you suspect your child is having an allergic reaction, follow your doctor’s instructions.

• This food’s too spicy.
• My tongue is hot (or burning).
• It feels like something’s poking my tongue.
• My tongue (or mouth) is tingling (or burning).
• My tongue (or mouth) itches.
• It (my tongue) feels like there is hair on it.
• My mouth feels funny.
• There’s a frog in my throat.
• There’s something stuck in my throat.
• My tongue feels full (or heavy).
• My lips feel tight.
• It feels like there are bugs in there (to describe itchy ears).
• It [my throat] feels thick.
• It feels like a bump is on the back of my tongue [throat].


Food Allergy News, Vol. 13, No. 2. ©2003 The Food Allergy &
Anaphylaxis Network. All rights reserved.

No comments: